August 10, 2009
Symphony Silicon Valley presents free outdoor music festival: Target Summer Pops
Symphony Silicon Valley's regular concert season begins October, but thanks to the Symphony's brand-new, all-free pops festival, you can enjoy the orchestra this month in five laid-back concerts perfect for the summer holidays.
Between August 22 and 30, Symphony Silicon Valley will present Target Summer Pops, a free five-concert outdoor music festival performed by the Symphony orchestra with guest soloists, and directed by Bruce Hangen, former associate conductor of the Boston Pops.
The festival will be located on the lawn of the San Jose State University Mall, entered at 4th and San Carlos Streets, where the orchestra will perform in a raised band shell. Parking is available in the high-rise 4th Street Garage located next to the entrance to the Mall.
The concerts, bottled water, harmonicas for children at the Family Concert and ice cream at the Band Concert, are all free, thanks to the generosity of festival sponsors Target and the Redevelopment Agency of the City of San Jose.
The Symphony encourages listeners to bring their own beach chairs and a picnic lunch or dinner to enjoy with the music.
• The Festival opens on Saturday, August 22, at 7:00 pm, with Symphony Silicon Valley performing a concert of film music by John Williams, winner of 45 Oscar nominations for his scores to dozens of the best-known movies of the last thirty years, from Star Wars to Harry Potter.
• Target Family Concert follows on Sunday, August 21, at 3:00 pm. A witty musical mystery, "The Composer Is Dead," by popular children’s author Lemony Snicket, leads off the program. It is followed by harmonica virtuoso Bonfiglio playing Gershwin and much more, all with Symphony Silicon Valley. Young audience members will receive free harmonicas plus a short lesson from Bonfiglio, and then will perform a tune together with the orchestra.
• On Tuesday, August 25, at 5:30 pm, legendary British jazz artists Cleo Laine, vocalist, and her husband John Dankworth, sax player and clarinetist, will perform with their combo, augmented by Symphony players. Laine and Dankworth, hailed as ”king and queen of British jazz,” continue to receive rave reviews after 40 years of performing.
• The following Saturday, August 29 at 7:00 pm, the Beatles tribute band Magical Mystery Tour will perform standards from the Lennon-McCartney songbook. The band stars four original cast members of the Broadway hit BEATLEMANIA, who will be backed by the Symphony Silicon Valley orchestra.
• The Target Summer Pops festival concludes at 3:00 pm on Sunday, August 30, with an old fashioned brass band concert and ice cream social. Led by Symphony tubist Tony Clements, the 39-member band will play favorites ranging from ‘Bugler’s Holiday” to ‘Danny Boy’ and songs from ‘Phantom of the Opera’. The music will be accompanied by free ice cream for the audience.
Movie Magic: John Williams Film Scores
Date: Saturday 7:00 pm August 22, 2009
Conductor: Bruce Hangen
Target Family Concert
Date: Sunday 3:00 pm August 23, 2009
Conductor: Bruce Hangen
Soloist: Robert Bonfiglio
Cleo Laine & John Dankworth
Date: Tuesday 5:30 pm August 25, 2009
Soloists: Cleo Laine, vocalist
John Dankworth, saxophone/clarinet
Classical Mystery Tour
Date: Saturday 7:00 pm August 29, 2009
Conductor: Martin Herman
Soloists: Jim Owen
Brass Band & Ice Cream Social
Date: Sunday 3:00 pm August 30, 2009
Conductor: Tony Clements
For more information about Target Summer Pops,
please contact the Symphony
(408) 286-2600 x 23